2015-2020 SA Sheep Industry Blueprint
The Blueprint was launched in April 2016 with an overarching aim to increase productivity by 20% by 2020. There are five key objectives we are working toward:
- GROWING: Grow the South Australian sheep industry’s production and value from $1.48 billion in 2015 to $1.80 billion in 2020 while maintaining international competitiveness.
- UNITING: Develop a united value chain workforce plan from 2015 to 2020 that attracts new and energetic people to the industry.
- ENGAGING: Support a 20% increase in the engagement of quality consultants and advisers with increased use of business decision-support tools.
- INNOVATING: Act as a conduit for greater research, development and extension collaboration along the value chain at the regional, state and national level and develop a measure of greater adoption and uptake.
- SHARING: Develop a proactive and progressive industry communication plan that, through advocacy and champions, gives greater consumer confidence to increase their demand and engages the whole value chain.
There are four areas of focus to achieve the objectives:
- Resilient and profitable production systems
- Efficient value chains that optimise total returns
- Enhance community and consumer support
- Build industry capability and capacity
By 2020, the South Australian sheep industry will have achieved:
- Gains in flock size and weaning rate leading to 12.5% more lambs weaned.
- A 20% increase in use of quality consultants and advisers and decision support tools.
- 35% of sheep supplied via direct consignment will have individual feedback with payment to suppliers reflecting quality and yield differences.
- A 2% gain in processing efficiency.
- The South Australian sheep industry will be recognised as an excellent industry in which to forge a career.
Annual updates on progress against targets will be provided and reported to stakeholders through annual reports and regional forums. These events will also serve as an opportunity for producers and industry stakeholders to identify new challenges and opportunities.
Industry Dev: SA Sheep Industry Blueprint /Industry Blueprints /
Policy Area: Sheep & wool /