Livestock SA was recently involved in the stakeholder consultation regarding the review of agvet chemicals regulatory framework.
- Stakeholders were generally supportive of using overseas data to enable Australia to have increased access to niche chemical products which are not available here
- There was concern over the removal of efficacy as an assessment criterion due to potential impacts on animal welfare and biosecurity
- Stakeholders highlighted the high cost of retaining accreditation and how this may impact willingness to become/stay accredited
- It would be beneficial to have greater clarity relating to emergency permits and the criteria for use
- Upfront feed for registration may act as a deterrent
- Stakeholders agreed on national harmonisation of control of use in relation to registered veterinarians’ ability to supply restricted medicines to other veterinarians
- Residue testing of produce needs to increase