There are a number of measures growers can take to help protect family, staff and assets ahead of days of catastrophic fire danger.
According to the South Australian Country Fire Service (CFS), a catastrophic fire danger rating indicates the worst conditions for a bush or grass fire.
- Implement a plan for catastrophic fire danger days which all family members and staff are familiar with
- Gather feedback from staff and family to improve planning
- Shift machinery to a gravel or concrete pad ahead of catastrophic fire conditions
- Consider utilising ex-fire authority fire trucks and fit other harvesting equipment with firefighting units
- Have an adequate insurance policy which covers all farm assets.