Primary Producers SA has made a submission to the SA Fire and Emergency Services Commission regarding the 2019/20 bushfire season. The submission discusses the need for equipment subsidies for farm fire units, consistency of quality of equipment within CFS brigades, aerial support, access to land or properties following fires, military support, logistics particularly on Kangaroo Island, grant eligibility and administration, national park environmental effects and Federal versus State government responsibilities.
In this issue:
- Mental health support needed for SA rural communities
- Drought Package Expanded
- Around the traps
- Revised National Wild Dog Policy
- Draft Far North Prescribed Wells Area Water Allocation Plan 2019-2029
- Water Security Tours
- Roadworthy Heavy Vehicles… Made Easy! workshops
Wool Producers Australia, the Livestock Contractors’ Association and Australian Wool Innovation have finalised and made available the Plan, Prepare & Conduct Best Welfare Practice for Sheep Husbandry Procedures – Training Guide.
Help to unlock the potential for South Australia
Calling all people involved in primary industries, research, or agricultural technologies (AgTech).
The State Government, through the guidance and advice of the AgTech Advisory Group, is creating an AgTech strategy for South Australia to encourage greater uptake of technology on-farm to increase productivity and profitability.
This survey is the first step in putting together a blueprint to make South Australia a leader in AgTech.
Survey closes at 5pm, Friday 24 April 2020
The MLA ‘Goats on the Move’ program and industry news update for March 2020.
The Cudlee Creek Fire Landscape Recovery Grants support rural landholders and farmers in the Cudlee Creek fire scar, who have been fire-affected and are working to protect and restore their natural resources, after the bushfire which started on 20 December 2019. Consideration may be given for eligible works that have already been undertaken prior to signing of a grant agreement, provided that they commenced after 20 December 2020. Each landholder can apply for up to $5,000+GST.
These funds are being made available from the Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges and South-Australian Murray-Darling Basin Natural Resources Management boards levies.
The State Government has appointed Mrs Michelle Edge as the new Chief Executive of Primary Industries and Regions SA.
- Expand mental health outreach support with enhanced Family and Business Support Program
- Introduce a $120 per dog wild dog bounty
- $330,000 for community drought recovery events
- Extend the 50 per cent rebate for pastoral lease rents
- An extra wild dog trapper to be employed
The Marshall Liberal Government’s $21 million drought package will be expanded to allow more primary producers dealing with extended dry conditions to access support as an outcome of the Premier’s recent drought tour.
Do you understand what is required for your heavy vehicles to be roadworthy in line with the Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual?
Not sure if your heavy vehicles are compliant?
Grain Producers SA, on behalf of Primary Producers SA, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) are partnering to deliver a series of FREE Roadworthy Heavy Vehicles … Made Easy! workshops specifically to help SA primary producers understand heavy vehicle roadworthiness requirements.
Theory workshops will be held to provide primary producers with:
- An outline of the NHVR Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual
- Road safety awareness
- Producer compliance and maintenance responsibilities
- Requirements of the regulator
- Possible changes that may be introduced to the scheme
In addition, all theory workshop participants have the opportunity to take part in a practical workshop to receive valuable hints and tips prior to their own heavy vehicle inspections starting.
Early registrants may have the opportunity to have their own vehicle’s roadworthiness checked for FREE as part of each practical workshop (spots are limited).
Workshops are being held at the following locations:
- LAUNCH: Wallaroo – Friday 20th March @1pm, Coopers Alehouse
- Bordertown – Tuesday 24th of March @ 9am, Tatiara, Truck & Trailers
- Loxton – Wednesday 25th of March @ 9am, PIRSA
- Cummins – Tuesday 31st March @ 8.30am, Ramsey Bros Secker Court
- Cleve – Wednesday 1st April @ 8.30am, Ramsey Bros Cleve
- Riverton – Wednesday 8th April @ 8.30am, Ramsey Bros
- Murray Bridge – Friday 17th April @ 9am, Regional Development Australia Murray Bridge
- Tanunda – Tuesday 28th April @9am, CWA Hall
Australian Wool Innovation (AWI) and Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA), in partnership with Animal Health Australia, WoolProducers Australia and Sheep Producers Australia, are currently funding an impact assessment into sheep reproduction research, development and extension (RD&E).